Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Signed Up and Ready to Train!

I did it! Monday I signed up for my first marathon ever. It's the Philadelphia Marathon held on November 17, 2013.

http://philadelphiamarathon.com/

Thirty-two weeks of training stretch ahead. This week I'm jacking up my mileage to 20 miles, from the paltry 9 or so I was doing all winter.

Foremost on my mind is not whether I can run the 26.2 miles, but whether an injury during these months of training may prevent me from even showing up to the race.

As a forty-something runner, mostly I'm concerned about two joints: my right knee, which has some type of chronic inflammation/loose cartilage/iliotibial band syndrome, I'm not sure which, and my left foot, where I've grown a bunion and trigger-toe from too many years in dress shoes. Ice, stretching and ibuprofen/aspirin will hopefully help me manage them in the coming weeks.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment