Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Long runs

Most online marathon training programs include 3 different kinds of runs: intervals/sprints, tempo runs, and long runs. Each contributes in its own way toward building cardiovascular capacity, joint resilience and muscle strength to eventually take you the full 26.2.

I've had experience using intervals and tempo runs to increase my running pace, but these long runs are new to me. And they present a host of problems that makes this part of the marathon training process as intellectual as it is physical.

Since we're talking about running for 100+ consecutive minutes during each long run, the question is what keeps your body going efficiently and effectively until the run is completed?

How much and how often should you drink? Do you walk while you're drinking, to avoid choking? Or keep running to stay on race schedule, taking small sips?

What do you eat along the way? Or is it better to just run faster and finish before the glucose levels crash?

What happens if you get a stitch in your side? Or your knee starts aching? Do you stop running and wait in a 10-minute line for the port-a-potty, or keep going even though you REALLY feel like you have to go to the bathroom?

What about the mental challenge of running for 2 or 3 hours at a stretch? So many people I've talked to tell me they don't run much because they get bored. I worried about that too at first, especially as my long runs consist of loops---I'm often traipsing down the same trails day after day.

You could write chapters about each of these subjects, and I don't know the answers. I'm sure it's different for each runner. So far I've found the best thing to do is run and just see what happens. Experiment, take notes, alter my technique and plan for future runs as I go. This is the fun part of training for me---fusing intelligent strategy with diligence and hustle to get ready for the race of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment