Sunday, January 6, 2013

Starting thoughts

I'm an average runner doing average mileage. So what business do I have trying to run a marathon?

It's a question I've asked myself since 2006, when I finished the NYRR Grand Prix: Staten Island half-marathon (it's official name). I trained half-way decently for that race. I came in at my target time. But it was pretty hard. Was I really capable of running twice as far, just as fast? Without the pain, and having more fun? Was I game?

What would the training be like? Would I have to give up beer? Go to bed early Friday nights? Could I still have a social life?

All this speculation led me to where I am today: still an average runner wondering what it'd be like to train for a marathon. So this New Year's Day I finally said to myself: Laura, if not 2013, when?

Really it's time....well, you know the saying---to 'just do it.'

No comments:

Post a Comment